Skip to main content

Interview: Empire! Empire! (I Was Lonely Estate) (November 11, 2012)

I recently spoke to Keith Latinen of Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate) about their current tour, juggling running a label with being in a band and Pluto.


 Hi there, Empire! Empire! I Was A Lonely Estate!
 For the record, who is Empire! Empire! and how did the band come about?
Empire! Empire! is me and my wife, Cathy.  I’m Keith.  It started out as my solo project and when our old band called Anna Flyaway was on the verge of breaking up, I put all my eggs into this basket and finished our first EP.  We were working on both my solo project and Anna Flyaway EP at the same time and when the writing was on the wall that that was going to end, I shifted my entire focus to Empire!.  Naturally, when we decided to start playing live shows, Cathy joined and we went through a long string of members before we ended up with just the two of us again.

How would you describe Empire! Empire! in a few words?
      Pretty boring ;)

What can we expect from your UK and Ireland tour?
This time around we brought our friends Warren Franklin (Warren Franklin and the Found Fathers), Barry Mielke (Driving on City Sidewalks), and Stewart Oakes (Joie De Vivre) to play our missing pieces.  All three have filled in for us before, so we have a pretty large list of songs we can choose from.  We’ve been playing a good mix of them every night, so people who have been kind enough to see us more than once on this tour should hear a few different songs every show.

 How does it feel to be playing overseas and knowing that you have fans from so far away?
It feels amazing!  It’s sometimes hard to believe that we are able to do something as grand as this for something as silly as being in a band. This is our fourth international tour and every single one has been a lot of fun.  We planned this with less ground to cover so that we could see a lot of the sights the UK and Ireland have to offer, and so far we’ve gotten to do a lot of that. 

You've done quite a few splits this year, with bands such as Two Knights, Driving On City Sidewalks and Mountains for Clouds. What is it about splits that you enjoy? Is it that you have a preference for working with other bands, or is it just more convenient? 
I really enjoying sharing that bond with another band and being on a split with them is like being their siblings in music.  You are a part of their catalog and they are a part of yours.  I love that.  It’s also amazing to give your fans a chance to hear the bands you love on the same release, and for the same to happen with the band(s) on the other side of the splits.  I wouldn’t say I have a preference with working with other bands [over doing individual releases] or that it’s more convenient or anything, because we’ve had many, many releases with just our name on it.  I just fell in love with the idea of splits when I was 15 and it never left me. 

What are your plans for the rest of the year?
Well, there isn’t much time left in this year by the time we get back, which is crazy.  This year went by so fast!  We are planning the rest of it by writing for our next full length.  We have a lot of work to do on it left.  We had hoped to be all done with it by the end of this year, but time got the better of us so we just have to redouble our efforts and get this thing going again.

   How do you find balancing the work with running Count Your Lucky Stars and being in Empire! Empire!? Is it hard to find time to write songs and and still have the ability to focus on the label?
Actually, that is a big reason why the album isn’t finished- though not the only reason.  It is incredibly hard to find time for both the band and the label, and we both have other jobs too.  The best thing to do is to specifically set aside time to write every day or so, but that time is usually stolen by something more pressing.  We have about three songs on guitar written so far, but that’s it. 

What do you think of the current shape of music?
I’m not sure if I can answer that, per se.  We live in a very small world, musically.  It’s a small scene and everyone is probably like one or two degrees separated.   As for where our scene fits into a global scene and by-in-large the shape of music in general, I honestly don’t know.  I would say it’s probably a very small footprint at best.  I feel like our scene is something where either you know it or you don’t- but if you do know it, you seem to know everything about it.  Which makes it sound inclusive and not welcoming, but that is the exact opposite.  Everyone is very open and even if you have never met anyone at a show you are attending, they make you feel at home. 
I’m not sure if that answers the question, as it is a very large and encompassing one.  Maybe this is a better answer:  Music will always be a force in our lives.  There will always be pop music with certain trends that shift and change, but I doubt very much that you will find a lot of cross-over from our scene to that.  Pop music is doing fine; it’s never not going to do well.  It seems to be shifting back to the boy band/pop star/diva era again.  I’m curious to see if it ever finds its ways back to bands in the way the 90s saw Nirvana, Gin Blossoms, Third Eye Blind, etc. 

What bands influence Empire! Empire!? Who do you personally listen to?
The bands that really speak to me are Death Cab for Cutie, Mineral, Promise Ring, Appleseed Cast, Knapsack, Get Up Kids, Colossal, Penfold, Pedro the Lion, Benton Falls, Pop Unknown- stuff of that ilk.  A good portion of my playlists will still include that, I don’t expect that to change much. 

What's your favourite album of all time? And why?
I guess if I had to choose one, it would be Photo Album by Death Cab for Cutie right now.  There are a few albums that will always be my answer to this question, but this one currently edges the others out.  I love the drum work on the album.  This era of Death Cab drumming is a huge influence.  But really, everything is beautiful- every melody, every lyric, every bass line.  I love that it wasn’t afraid to be repetitive.  It’s one of those less-is-more albums, which is what I’m hoping we can make our new album.

 If Empire! Empire! was a planet, what planet would it be?
Ummmm… Pluto?  I mean, it isn’t even a planet anymore, but it used to be classified as one.  We are a dwarf planet, relegated as a second-class being.  Haha, how’s that for emo?  No, no, just kidding- I don’t know how to answer a question like that. 

 Final words?
Thanks for the interview!  We are about to port into Ireland so I have to wrap this up.  Hope to see a lot of people on the rest of this tour.

Empire! Empire! (I Was A Lonely Estate) are currently the touring the UK and Ireland, with The Reptilian. Check their site for dates. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early In The Morning by James Vincent McMorrow (2010) (Review)

  I've  decided to create a new genre. I call it “beardcore”. Scene heads generally make confessional folk music recorded alone in some isolated building (cabin, hut, beach house etc.) with only acoustic guitars, banjos and whatnot for company. Oh, and they have beards. Now you may think to yourself, ‘This will never take off! How silly of her!’ and, given most of my genre creating, you’d be right (Oberstcore never did take off…), but this scene is not just existing, but is currently thriving. The newest beardcore artist is James Vincent McMorrow’. Joining Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes in the genre, McMorrow hails from the not so green isle of Ireland and is making waves with his debut album Early In The Morning , eleven tracks of atmospheric indie-folk with intelligent musicianship, and more intelligent lyrics. The album starts off with “If I Had A Boat” an initially a capella, atmospheric grower. Starting off quietly, it eases the listener into the record with McMorrow...

Track-By-Track: Forest Life EP by McCafferty

McCafferty 's recent EP, Forest Life, is one of The Alternative Tone's favourite releases so far this year. I caught up with Nick to get a track-by-track on the EP, in order to give us more insight into McCafferty's fabulous imagery and lyrical themes.  Jeff    There was a girl I was friends with in high school named Becky and she was in a relationship with this guy from freshman year until last summer, when their relationship fell apart she told me it happened really fast, that's why the song is so short. I wanted to explore the aspect of a relationship with so much feeling that just ends abruptly and the emptiness that you feel after. I've had people message me and say they wish Jeff was longer, but that's the exact reason I made it so short.  Snakes  I wrote "Snakes" with the mindset of making a song that sort of pokes fun at all these dogs out there in the DIY scene about smoking and partying, it's really simplistic in the lyrics b...

Bravebird - Ready Or Not

Emo from Ann Arbor Download Here   (Out of free bandcamp downloads, however the band have posted a mediafire link for it) RIYL: A really twinkly La Dispute, Old Gray Highly Recommended.